8.7.11

The Beauty of Borage

Borago Officinalis

Yes it's a weed. Yes it's a thug. But up close isn't it amazing? In health food shops they label Borage oil as 'Starflower Oil' instead. A bit moon-eyed, but you can see why. We've got too much of it, but it brings in the bees like nothing else. It's been flowering here for a good few weeks and won't stop until autumn. I grow it as a companion plant. It seems to be good with courgettes, as both have hairy leaves, but I've found that the hairs on the borage leaves can damage smooth leaved plants. So it's not the ideal companion plant really, but I love it nonetheless.







3 comments:

  1. Moon-eyed. Love it. I'm going to try to get that into a sentence tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, such tactile, lyrical photos... Lovely. Borage always makes me think of Pim's, and I'm not even close to being British. Maybe it is an illusion? Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Liisa! We do use it in Pim's (I love the way the flowers change colour). Although we don't drink Pim's often enough to be called properly British. Have a great week too.

    ReplyDelete