25.6.11

A series of unfortunate events

I think mother nature has it in for us here at the clay garden at the moment. Here's why:

Blight:

Our potatoes aren't ready to pull, but they have black spots all over them and are looking very sorry for themselves. The only thing to do now is cut down all the foliage and burn it. We may salvage some spuds, we may not. I think that means growing tomatoes is out this year too as they'll get blight for sure. I should have sprayed the spuds with copper sulphate earlier this year but thought I could get away with it because of the dry weather. More fool me...



Cucumber Mosaic virus:

We have a cucumber mosaic virus conundrum. Our courgette leaves are turning bright yellow. Apparently this could be a sign of the dreaded cucumber mosaic virus. Or it might be just normal for yellow courgettes. At the moment we just can't tell. We've got several different species of courgettes. The yellow ones have the yellowest leaves, but even the green climbing courgettes are yellowing a little. If we do have the virus we should cut the plants down now and burn them. If we don't then we're due a bumper crop. A trawl of online forums gives mixed advice and I just don't know what to do. As the plants look healthy for the moment I've left them to see if they stay that way. If they start looking unhappy they're for the chop. I had such high hopes for the climbing courgettes as a good small garden space saver.

UPDATE: I have put out a call for help on Twitter - any advice appreciated as to what to do!!!










Plague:

Of slugs. They are everywhere thanks to a very damp June, and have succeeded in totally massacring every climbing bean we put in, as well as the entire first sowing of peas. I'm going to nematode them this evening but deep down I know even biological warfare won't defeat them. Bah.

Oh, and I've been ill. So that proves it. Let's hope July is better. Any advice on the cucumber mosaic virus appreciated!


No comments:

Post a Comment