23.5.11

Fishing for Kings


I went to Devon a couple of weeks back. It’s where I grew up – in an old Station Master’s house next to a disused railway line. It really was in the middle of nowhere, with lots of land where my parents kept chickens, grew their own veg and generally lived the 70’s good life. My parents don’t live in that house anymore but the railway line is still there, and makes for a stunning woodland walk. For me it is a literal trip down memory lane – I used to build dens, and hurtle down that track on my bicycle so often that I still feel like I know every root and stream.

We went down there to enjoy the sea of bluebells, but as we stopped by the river for a cup of tea (carried with us in a thermos – inspired idea), we were treated to a streak of violent blue and orange flashing past a metre or so above the river. A kingfisher. It’s the first I’ve ever seen despite growing up by that river. It was the perfect end to a perfect walk. I love the British woodland, and there’s plenty there to inspire the gardener. I came home convinced that we should grow nothing but wild garlic and bluebells in our side border. And maybe a few ferns too.

Wild garlic and the river



Fern unfolding in the evening sun

Vertical gardening Devon style





No comments:

Post a Comment