5.4.11

Of parrots and pigeons


Walking home a couple of days ago, me and the co-gardener stopped to stare up at a particularly stunning cherry tree in full blossom. As we looked up, we realised that there was more up in the branches than just blossom. There was a funny-looking bird. And it looked like it was eating the flowers. In fact there were several birds, all with forked tails, hooked beaks, and bright green feathers. They were parrots. Yes, I'm not making this up, there are parrots living in London. I've seen them before in giant flocks, but this is the first time I've seen them really close up. I wish I had a longer zoom, as the photos I took doesn't really do them justice.

Turns out London has been home to ring-necked parakeets since the 19th century - although their numbers have shot up since the 1990s. No one knows where they came from, and they are now so successful that they can legally be shot as pests (if you have a proper license). While some might get upset by the thought of these foreigners invading our shores, I'm a big fan. They brighten up the city, and they're much prettier than the bloody pigeons.

Spot the parrot...

No comments:

Post a Comment