7.3.11

Top gardening books

I'm going to enable comments on my blog in the hope that occasionally someone might want to talk back to me rather than just listen (that is the point of this online business after all). To kick things off I'd like to ask a question. What two gardening books could you not live without? I'm a compulsive buyer of the things, but when it comes down to it, choosing my two is pretty easy:


Dream plants for a natural garden - by Henk Gerritsen and Piet Oudolf

I absolutely love this book. Unlike many standard plant dictionaries (not to mention seed catalogues), here the authors are highly opinionated and totally honest. If a plant is no good then they tell you. If they say it's problem-free then it will be. And if they don't like it then they tell you that too. On top of that the writing is warm and very funny - the section on the drudgery of staking high-growing perennials is hilarious (you'll have to take my word for it).

The complete Food Garden - by John Seymour

My favourite book on growing your own food. Engaging and authoritative, there's detailed instructions on how to work over your soil, grow every veg imaginable, and even keep bees. Very hard to find now. My Uncle gave me my copy - and I use it all the time. 

So, any essential books I should add to my shelf?

One of the lovely drawings in John Seymours's Complete Food Garden

9 comments:

  1. Hmmm....interesting selection, the Seymour book is classic, and that illustration is amazing!? How about the "Adam the gardener" books, there's loads of them on ebay, but I don't think you can get them new, they used to be a newspaper column I think, and have idiot-proof month by month steps for what to do in the garden which I love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful blog and really inspiring what can be done with a small city garden! Puts my bowl of bulbs and pot plants to shame!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much! There's nothing wrong with bulbs and pot plants by the way - was saying just yesterday how I needed to plant more bulbs. I reckon they might really perk up my late flowering perennial border that's normally a bit bare in the spring.

    Will check out the 'Adam the gardener' books too. Sounds intriguing... I sense an amazon splurge coming on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this blog! Go Tom - what a treat to read... especially as I know next to nothing about gardening... Am going to become a greenfingered goddess by proxy! Huzzah halloo hallay! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tom
    Lovely blog! My approach is rather scattergun in comparison, insufficient research coupled with bursts of zeal and (perhaps misguided) energy - although we're devout vegetable gardeners. I am a big fan of Carol Klein and love the River Cottage veg books which, of course, have gorgeous recipes too, which might appeal to your other passion!
    Rach xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will have to check out Carol Klein's books I loved her garden in her recent TV series. I have the River Cottage Meat Book (which has to be capitalised on account of its size and meaty subject), which is brilliant - will investigate their veg books too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading your blog inspired me to aim to be a bit more creative with the postage-stamp sized bit of grass we have downstairs. This weekend I went so far as to remove the various scattered dead inner tubes from the flower beds (remnants of the previous tenants) and the broken toys and empty sherbet wrappers (courtesy of the neighbours children) - after that i have to say i got stuck! More will have to wait until the weather gets a bit warmer! Really love the blog - I’m looking forward to see your garden creations unfold (and inviting myself round at harvest time!?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved "Self Sufficiency", the prequal to John Seymour's Food Garden, tho I had next to no interest in gardening until then. He made it all seem so accessible - I couldn't wait to get off the grid, grow food, keep livestock, lay hedges and make my own tool handles. Totally inspirational but in my case not very practical (ever wondered why it took so many people to "work the land" back in the day?). If you ever come across a copy I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have to look up 'Self Sufficiency' I'm a total sucker for books like that. I like to think that I know how to milk a goat, even though I'll probably never have to do so in anger!

    By the way - thanks for your kind words Ellie - you are invited around any time!

    ReplyDelete